Jungle Ide works side-by-side with the official monkey trans-compiler for the monkey language. This compiler will allow you to write your applications and games in a simple but powerful programming language. This programming language has the ability to produce output for a wide range or platform-specific high level programing languages. That is, you can code a whole game or application using the monkey language, and the compiler will be able to produce:
- a XBOX 360 compatible game or application
- an Android compatible game or application for smart phones and tablets.
- a HTML5 compatible game or application that only requires a modern internet browser (Google Chrome, Safari, FireFox or InternetExplorer 9). No plugins required!
- a Native Windows game or application
- a Windows XNA game or application
- a Windows Phone 7 game or application
- a Flash game or application compatible with almost everything flash-capable.
- a Mac/Linux/Windows compatible Gnu C++ project that can generate game as stand alone applications. (windows version can generate directly the EXE file).
- a PlayStation Vita game or application
- a Windows 8 style (metro) game or application
- an iPhone or iPad game or application (final compilation has to be done on a Macintosh computer)
Also notice that Monkey is a very powerful programming language that takes lots of design ideas from Java, C# or BlitzBasic. As a result, Monkey is a programming language designed to reduce drastically the development time and the maintenace costs. It’s a hard typed language with full Object Oriented support, including inheritance and polimorphism, interfaces, generics, reflection, fast garbage collection, etc. It also allows you to mix Monkey code with target specific code so the only limit is your imagination. Notice that some of this language features are not even available on the native target languages. That makes Monkey a perfect tool, even if you’re not planing a multi-platform release. Coding with the confidence that the code will run almost anywhere you can imagine, is priceless.
To select the desired target for an application, it’s as easy as select it from the compiler options of the Jungle Ide: